Sunday, September 14, 2014

Only Contact

Imagine aliens landed on earth and you have been chosen to be the ambassador for all of humanity. As you arrive they explain to you that they have never visited earth before and for whatever reason they have no plans to return. They ask of you for only one simple thing, what it means to be human. What would you tell them? They will never have the chance to hear anything else, and what is said will define humanity for them for millennium. 


Would you tell them about our cultures or our history? Explain our physical capabilities or handicaps? Perhaps how we think or feel, the simple things that make up our day to day life? What does it mean? 

Well crap, I have no idea. That's why I'm asking you.

Though if I would have to guess, on a most basic level some of it would be striving to be something better. Desires and needs to be known and heard. To love and be loved. The need to create our masterpieces our legacies. To me, it seems that throughout our history and our cultures are inspired by, at least in part, by these basic necessities.

Of course this is just one human's opinion, and a great thing about us is that we all have different ones. Agree with me or not, how would you describe humanity?


1 comment:

  1. Though I would argue that if there was one aspect of human nature that we can all agree on it would be laziness. If I happened to interest any of you in my previous post and are wondering what's wrong with me and why I'm not posting, I'm sorry, I'll try to keep more up to date.

    ReplyDelete